Tuesday 6 November 2012

Obama

I will never be able to explain to my daughter why I felt sad when I saw the lead by Romney in the early results of US presidential elections. And the joy of seeing Obama re-elected. When the first black mayor of NY city, David Dinkins, was elected in 1989, we were in a small town, Harda, and we celebrated it. My daughter, born in 1990, does not like Obama for good reasons (she dislikes Romney even more).

I saw on TV how so many people cried when Obama won in 2008. Oh to imagine a man of colour as the president of the USA! Its funny how we felt part of those crowds, even though we are not citizens of their country. Our hopes from him may not have been fulfilled, but we still want him to be there, certainly more so than Romney. A silly desire may be, but still so.

So much has changed in the world. And yet, so much suffering remains. It is only when we think of the past, we realise that things have changed for the better in some areas. And it has been a hard struggle by millions of people to achieve whatever little has been achieved. The bad news is that the struggle must continue. La Luca continua.

No comments: